Dated: 29 September 2010
New TyreSafe Video Stars 7 Year Old Cast
With only a few days before the start of tyre safety month, TyreSafe has released its latest video detailing the importance of checking your tyre tread depth on a regular basis. What makes this educational video different however is that it stars a cast of 7 year old children who manage to get across the serious issue of tyre safety in a humorous manner.
Using the same 20p test that they launched last year, the children reiterate how to check your tread depth with the caption, “so simple, even an adult could do it”. The video can be found on the TyreSafe website.
To check your tread depth, using the TyreSafe 20p test, use the following steps – originally published on their website:
The 20p Test:
- Tyre tread depth should be checked at least once a month at the same time that you check your tyre pressures.
- A 20p coin provides a useful alternative to a calibrated tread depth gauge.
- Insert the 20p coin into the main tyre grooves at several places around the circumference of the tyre and across its width.
- If the outer band of the 20p coin is visible whenever you insert it into the grooves, your tread depth may be illegal and you should have them checked by a qualified tyre specialist.
- When checking your tread depth, give the rest of the tyres a visual inspection for any cuts or bulges and remove any stones or objects embedded in the tread.”