Dated: 20 May 2010
Over 700 Michelin Tyres Stolen While Driver Sleeps
The tyres were being transported from Michelin’s Dundee factory to a distribution centre in mainland Europe when, according to reports from the French tyre manufacturer, they were nabbed by thieves. It appears that they slashed the side-curtain of the trailer while the driver was catching 40-winks.
The tyre sizes - and quantities - stolen were as follows:
- 185/65 R 15 88H Energy Saver x 205
- 195/65 R 15 91V Energy Saver x 164
- 185/65 R 14 86T Energy Saver x 92
- 155/70 R 13 75T Energy E3B x 67
- 165/70 R 13 79T Energy E3B x 61
- 155/80 R 13 79T Kleber Viaxer x 58
- 175/70 R 13 82T Energy E3B x 55
- 195/65 R 15 91H Energy Saver x 35
In total, the number of stolen tyres came to 737. Michelin has appealed to dealers be cautious of any “out-of-the-norm” distributors trying to sell the above products. Every tyre that the thieves made off with was manufactured in 2010 and as such, the DOT numbers will end in one of these date codes: 1014, 1015, 1016, 1017 or 1018.
Michelin have asked that if anyone comes into contact with someone trying to sell the stolen tyres that they get in touch with them on 0845 366 1535, or call PC Paul Anderson at Leicestershire Police on 0116 248 3029.